Saturday, June 15, 2019

Museum Gel and miniature gaming

A few years back I was looking for a way to modify my toy cars for miniature gaming without permanently altering or destroying them.  I came across a product called Museum Gel and it meets my needs.

Museum Gel is a clear semi-sticky substance that is used by museums to hold fragile items to shelves so that they cannot easily be knocked off. I figured if it was good enough to work on antiques it was good enough for my toys.



Here is a Hot Wheels car. Beside it is a plastic turret from an Axis and Allies miniature. The turret is upside down and the bottom is coated with a small piece of Museum Gel.  


Here is what the car looks like with the turret in place.


After the Gel has set for about an hour you can pick up the vehicle by the turret and it will remain stuck to the vehicle.


Should you wish to remove the turret and place it on a different vehicle simply slip a fingernail between the two and pry up. Any excess Gel can be rubbed off with a finger and reused.

Here’s the same turret on another vehicle.


I have left Museum Gel on several different toys for years at a time and removed the Gel with no damage to the body or paint.  I recommend it to anyone who wants to kit bash their toys without destroying them in the process.   


No comments:

Post a Comment