Tuesday, June 22, 2021

My First Hot Wheels and Early Childhood Collection

 

My first Hot Wheels was a Custom Cougar received in 1969.

I remember watching Hot Wheels commercials on my folks black and white TV. Seeing older kids race those slick cars down the track I knew these machines were way cooler than the small collection of Matchboxes I had.

I kept pestering my mom until she bought one for me. My parents didn’t have money for the orange track because they were keeping the family business going and building their dream house. I created my own track out of used popsicle sticks which the car straddled nicely.

As you can see, I wore the wheels on this Custom Cougar down considerably. The damage to the paint is battery acid from a Super Charger that had been left in the on position while in storage causing the batteries to explode. (This happened to several of my Super Chargers as it was too easy for the sliding switch to get bumped to the barely on position.)






Here’s the rest of my childhood collection. Maybe someday I will unpack my totes full of Hot Wheels to show off the rest.






No comments:

Post a Comment